Sunday, June 22, 2014

Tradition: Camping and Strawberry Day

We just got home tonight from our annual trip to Pleasant Grove for Strawberry Days. Since we're 6 weeks away from having baby #3, we combined the annual family camping trip with S-Days; and made it my final trip for a while. Chris asked the kids when we were approaching St. George if they were excited to be home and they piped, "yes!" But I nearly broke down in tears because I know that I will be strapped to my house and the scorching heat for the next several months. I love my babies, but I hate feeling stuck at home. It is good to be home after a long trip. But we had a great week in PG and didn't have enough time to see and do all we hoped.

When we arrived to town on Tuesday last week, it was a rain/snow mix! My kids got dropped off with Grandma and Grandpa Alldredge at the theater and saw How to Train Your Dragon 2. Chris and I did some shopping. The original plan was to start camping this night, but no one really wanted to sleep in the snow, so we postponed the camp out.

Kids are dressed for warm weather, while it's pouring rain outside. They LOVED the movie, popcorn, being with G & G!
The next morning was beautiful and the skies were clear, so packed up and headed up to American Fork Canyon to camp. We got the best site at Granite Flats (#55) and started to get the tent and kitchen areas set up. The kids were automatically in Heaven! Everything about camping is funny with little kids running around trying to help and Grandpas and Dads trying to not cuss in front of them. The kids were stoked about their matching toddler beds to sleep in and told up they were ready for bed at 3 pm. Our tent is huge! We all sleep on inflatable mattresses and have room to spare.


Then we went on a little hike where Oliver had to be the leader. We encountered a little blow snake. Oliver knows I'm scared of snakes, so he tells me he will be brave and Ruth doesn't seemed phased by the disgusting creature at all. Glad my fear isn't rubbing off on them. It helps that Chris and Grandpa loved seeing it and tried to catch it.

Grandma and I made some dinner. Lots of sugar was consumed. It got cold, but no rain or snow. Chris and I had a leak in our mattress that night and my parents snore and have to go to the bathroom 100 times each, but other than that, it was a nice first night. I think everyone stayed warm. Ruth woke me up at 6:00 and was super sad. Thank goodness for the greatest car ever invented, the minivan, cause I just put her in the van and drove her around for an hour while she watched Bambi (I figured that was ok to watch while camping cause it takes place in the forest) and we warmed up while everyone slept another hour.






So Thursday was eventful. We drove down to Timpanogos Cave to get tickets to hike to it. That was educational. Didn't know that you had to have a ticket and that they sell out. So we went back to camp to give Ruth a nap. Grandma and I read magazines and talked all about how we're gonna remodel our houses. Oliver took Grandpa and Dad fishing at Tibblefork. He was SO excited to fish. They caught 2. Oli was bummed that his Mickey Mouse pole didn't catch any. After nap time, we all met up again headed to Timp Cave for the hike. Grandpa kept telling me it was an easier hike than the G. I've never been to the cave before and have always wanted to, plus everyone else was going, so I decided that my 8 months prego body could do it! Grandpa was wrong. It took us 2 hours to get to the cave.



It was a really big deal that a little 4 year old guy, a Grandma, and an enormous pregnant woman hiked the cave. For Grandpa and Dad, it was no big deal at all. Chris threw Ruth on his shoulders and practically ran up the mountainside! I'm not exaggerating! Grandpa wanted to stick with Grandma at the rear. And Oliver couldn't run up it, but he was pretty frustrated with how many breaks I wanted to take and told me to just keep going - a natural hiker! I actually did just fine on the way up. I enjoyed feeling my body exercise again cause it's been so long.



Timpanogos Cave didn't disappoint. We'll have to do it again sometime. It's small, but it's cool. Chris is a nerd for stalagmites and such, so he was thrilled to be in there and wants to do some Intro to Caving course next summer. He took a bunch of pictures inside of the formations.




The hike down was rough for me. The pressure of Baby hitting my pelvis was painful and gave me contractions that I had to stop many times. I decided that I needed a good night's rest after that. I went to Grandma and Grandpa's house after dessert that night so I could sleep in a real bed. Chris and Ruth came with me. We went back up in the morning. Grandpa already had everything packed by 9:30. Oliver had a great time with his grandparents. We stayed up and played for a while longer. No one was too excited about going home and unpacking. So the kids played a game that Oliver made a name for, called Throw things up in the air and watch them fall down. And Hide and Go Seek. We all played and it was fun.

The final 2 days of our week were Strawberry Days traditions. We went to the Rodeo. It was such a better experience for Chris and I this year. I think because we weren't surrounded by my brother's friends. We also met up with my old friends there. I was grateful my parents could help me out with Ruth and Oliver because they were tired. The fireworks at the end were awesome. The next morning, Chris went on a 10 mile run in his new shoes, then met up with us at the parade. Again, great to see my old neighbors and friends. I love my neighbor Kate! She's always so fun. I held her new little baby Burke and Ruth doted on him so gently the whole time. 




While the kids napped/hung out with Grandma and Grandpa Saturday afternoon, Chris and I had to run errands. He needed to switch his new shoes for a better size, and I ended up next door to the shoe store at a baby store. Immediately, when you walk in, you feel the sweet calmness for babies. There were overpriced crib sets and baby accessories. But I was falling for it! I suddenly needed $1000 - and I already have everything! It was the first time this pregnancy that I've actually sat down and been anxious to meet my new baby. I made Chris take a minute in the store and rock in the $400 rocking chairs with me to just take in the mood. And it was a good way to start to wind up our trip, cause now I'm excited to set up the nursery again and nest! We ended up actually buying a dresser at IKEA for the big kid room.

Last night, I got to see my very best high school buddies! And I love that it worked out that we got together at my parents' house - just like old times! Our kids had so much fun playing with each other! We all brought our own food; everyone ended up getting Taco Amigo. My mom served strawberries and cream. It was a perfect night! The kids were filthy afterwards from playing so hard. Made me wish we lived closer and these nights could happen more often. I feel very blessed that God surrounded me with good friends in high school and college. They have always been great examples to me, especially my dear Marietta (who is probably going to be the only person to read this blog!). 



This morning was a mess of laundry and packing, but we finished the trip with a stop to see my very favorite people alive, Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Alldredge. Grandpa is getting old, but he's still so happy and loving. They are wonderfully sweet to me and my kids. Wish I could convince Chris to name Baby #3 Heber if it's a boy. 

Well, that's the long-winded report on our annual trip. We did the same things, with practically the same people, but it's always special! I love sharing camping and Strawberry Days with my kids and I feel complete when I watch them enjoy everything as much as I did! I appreciate my good husband for coming along every year too. He talks about how we need our own family traditions, but we're not creative enough to come up with anything better at this point. So we'll stick with what works! 

1 comment:

  1. I did read it! Thanks for the shout out! Haha and I love the name Heber and will now be rooting for that one!

    ReplyDelete